Heart-Shaped Napoleon |
... in honour
of St. Valentine's Day, of course!
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed to room temperature
- 1/2 cup/125 mL Watkins Vanilla Dessert Mix
- 1/2 cup/125 mL sugar
- 2 cups/500 mL low fat milk
- 2 cups/500 mL sweetened whipped topping flavored with 1 tsp/5 mL Watkins
Double-Strength Imitation White Vanilla Flavour
- 1/2 cup/125 mL semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp/5 mL vegetable shortening
- 1 cup/250 mL powdered sugar
- 1 tsp/5 mL Watkins Double-Strength Imitation White Vanilla Flavor
- 1/4 tsp/1.2 mL Watkins Almond Extract
- Hot water
On lightly-floured surface, roll one sheet of pastry into a 12 x 12-inch/30
x 30-cm rectangle. Trace a large heart onto pastry and cut out with sharp knife. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with
other sheet. Prick pastry well with fork. Bake at 400 F/200 C for 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden
brown. Remove pastry to wire rack to cool.
Meanwhile, prepare filling by combining the Dessert Mix, sugar and milk.
Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap; cool to room
temperature. Beat pudding until smooth; fold in whipped topping, then set aside. Split each pastry layer in half to make
4 layers in all. Melt chocolate chips and shortening over low heat; set aside. Combine powdered sugar, extracts and
enough hot water to make a smooth icing. Pour over one pastry layer. Drizzle or pipe chocolate in an attractive design
on top; set aside. Place one undecorated pastry layer on serving tray; spread with one third of filling. Repeat with
second and third layers. Top with decorated pastry. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Makes 10 servings.
Rich Bread Pudding
with Butter Pecan Sauce
wonderfully comforting old-fashioned dessert
just made to be enjoyed by the fire!
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. Watkins Vanilla
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. Watkins Cinnamon
- 1 loaf "Texas Toast" (thick-sliced bread), torn into pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 tsp. Watkins Butter Pecan Extract
Combine all pudding ingredients except bread. Add bread and allow to soak up
liquid, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9" x 12" glass baking dish and pour bread
mixture into pan. Bake about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve with sauce.
To make sauce, place sugar and water in
small saucepan over high heat and cook, stirring, until sugar is
dissolved. Then reduce heat to medium and cook without stirring,
just washing down sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in
water until sauce has turned caramel color (about 15 minutes).
Remove syrup from heat. Let cool slightly, then slowly add
cream, butter and extract, being sure hot syrup doesn't spatter.
Stir until smooth; serve on bread pudding.
Scarborough Fair Chicken
for two will be perfect served atop a bed of pasta with a
simple tomato sauce and accompanied by a nice red wine like a
Zinfandel or Chianti.
(Use Original Grapeseed Oil or Onion Liquid Spice in place of the Garlic if you want to avoid "garlic breath" on
Valentine's Day! )
- 2 chicken
breast halves (with bone and skin)
- 1/2 tsp. each Watkins Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
- 1 tsp. Watkins Garlic Liquid Spice
- Freshly-ground Watkins Sea Salt and Tellicherry Pepper,
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Loosen skin on
chicken breasts to create pockets. Mix herbs and oil and rub
beneath and on top of skin. Season with salt and pepper. Place
skin side up in a glass baking dish and bake 30 minutes or until
done. Remove from oven, preheat broiler and broil 3 minutes or
until nicely browned.
Chocolate Latte Pudding
- 1/2 cup/125 ml Watkins Chocolate Dessert Mix
- 1/2 cup/125 ml sugar
- 1-1/2 cups/375 ml skim milk
- 1-1/2 cups/375 ml cold, strongly brewed coffee (regular or decaf)
- 1-1/2 tsp/7.5 ml Watkins Vanilla
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Chocolate curls or chocolate covered coffee beans, for garnish
Combine Chocolate Dessert Mix, sugar, skim milk and coffee in medium saucepan; mix well. Cook over medium heat
until mixture begins to boil and thicken. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat and stir in Vanilla. Pour into 6
dessert dishes; refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream and chocolate curls or
Makes 6 servings.
Every Product is Backed by Watkins
100% Satisfaction Guarantee!