- Watkins Cooking Spray
- 1 tbsp/15 mL all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup/125 mL sugar
- 1/4 cup/60 mL cornstarch
- 2 tbsp/30 mL margarine or butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp/10 mL Watkins Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Nut Extract
- 1/2 tsp/2.5 mL Watkins Butter Extract
- 3/4 cup/180 mL all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp/2.5 mL Watkins Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp/0.6 mL salt
Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C. Spray two large baking sheets with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp/15 mL flour; set aside. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, margarine and extracts; mix well. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls 2 inches/5 cm apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans and let cool on wire rack.
Makes 3 dozen.
Orange Glazed Ham
- 1/2 ready-to-eat ham (about 8 lbs/3.75 kg)
- Watkins Cloves (Ground)
- 1 tbsp/15 ml Orange Peel
- 1 tbsp/15 ml water
- 1/2 cup/125 ml brown sugar
Prepare ham: Cut off dark outer rind, but leave fat. Score fat on ham in a diamond design and stud points of diamonds with whole cloves. Place ham, fat side up, on rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer. Bake, uncovered, at 325 F/170 C for 1-1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 140 F/60 C. In small bowl, combine orange peel and water; let stand a few minutes to rehydrate. Combine with brown sugar; pat mixture onto ham. Increase oven temperature to 375 F/190 C and bake ham 30 minutes longer or until well-glazed.
Makes 12 servings.
Spicy Herbed Biscuits
Combine bread mix, paprika, garlic granules, oregano, and thyme. Stir in sausage and 1-1/2 cups/375 ml cheese. Add beer, stir just until moistened. Drop by spoonful onto well-greased baking sheet. Drizzle butter over biscuits and sprinkle with remaining cheese and sea salt. Bake at 350 F/180 C for 35 to 40 minutes.
- 1 package Watkins Good Tastings Bread Mix
- 2 tsp/10 ml Watkins Paprika
- 2 tsp/10 ml Watkins Garlic Granules
- 2 tsp/10 ml Watkins Oregano
- 2 tsp/10 ml Watkins Thyme
- 1 cup/250 ml Andouille sausage, cooked and chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups/500 ml Parmesan cheese
- 12 oz/355 ml beer
- 2 tbsp/30 ml melted butter
- 1 tbsp/15 ml
Watkins Sea Salt, freshly ground
Makes 1 dozen.
Serve with a side of Watkins Country Gravy
Peppered Orange-Walnut Biscotti
Serve this tasty crisp cookie with a robust cup
of espresso or sweet dessert wine.
From Watkins Recipes for Pepper Cookbook, 1995
In medium bowl, combine first five ingredients; set aside. In large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs, one at a time. Mix in extracts. Mix in walnuts. Add dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)
- 1-3/4 cups/440 ml all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp/2.5 ml baking soda
- 1/2 tsp/2.5 ml Watkins Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp/0.6 ml salt
- 1-1/2 tsp/7.5 ml Watkins Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup/125 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup/250 ml white sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp/10 ml Watkins Orange Extract
- 1 tsp/5 ml Watkins Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/2 cups/375 ml walnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
Butter and flour two baking sheets. Divide dough into 2 pieces. Using lightly floured hands, shape each piece into a 1-1/2 inch/4-cm wide log on a lightly floured surface. Arrange each on baking sheet. Bake at 350 F/180 C for 20 minutes or until logs are light brown. Cool slightly on pan.
Cut logs on baking sheet crosswise on diagonal into 3/4 inch/2-cm wide slices. Turn cut side down on baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool. Store in airtight container.
Makes 3-1/2 dozen.
Buffalo Ribs with Bleu Cheese Sauce
A pork version of the famous tavern chicken wings.
From Watkins Pepper Cookbook, 1995
In small bowl, mix together butter and Inferno Sauce. In a shallow plate, mix together the cornflake crumbs and Peppers. Dip ribs in butter mixture and then roll in cornflake mixture. Place ribs an inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet or shallow pan. Bake at 350 F/180 C for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with Bleu Cheese Sauce (below), for dipping, if desired.
- 2 lbs/1 kg back ribs, cut into 1-rib portions
- 5 tbsp/75 ml butter, melted
- 2-1/2 tbsp/40 ml Watkins Inferno Hot Sauce
- 3/4 cup/180 mL crushed cornflake crumbs
- 1 tsp/5 mL Watkins Pepper
- 1/2 tsp/2.5 mL Watkins Cayenne Pepper
Makes 8 servings.
Bleu Cheese Sauce
Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- 1 cup/250 ml sour cream
- 1-1/2 tbsp/25 ml Watkins Blazin' Cajun Snack & Dip Seasoning
- 1/4 cup/60 ml crumbled bleu cheese
Makes 1-1/4 cups/325
ml, 8 servings.